Tuesday, February 23, 2010

FASD Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder

I have spent over a year studying this and reading anything and everything I can about FASD. Here is my conclusion... I believe that Russians drink a lot! I believe that most women don't realize how the alcohol affects their unborn baby. I believe that the majority of the children in the orphanage fall somewhere on the Fetal Alcohol Spectrum. Everyone wants a healthy child but if your heart is drawn towards adopting from Eastern Europe you need to be prepared to handle the brain damage that may have resulted from the alcohol. What I have seen in my research is that children that are affected severely will have major struggles. However the kids that are viewed as low to average risk seem to do quite well. I have seen some parents report signs of ADHD, SPD, Speech Delays, Memory issues, and Auditory Processing Disorders. I'm sure there are others that struggle with attachment and a few other things but for the most part these kids are doing well. I believe I am capable of caring for a child with some of these issues. And I get the added bonus of the joy they will bring to my life and knowing I have made a difference in their life. So after all this research I feel like I am ready to take that risk and I look forward to meeting my daughter.

I started this post last year but did not finish it until 2/23/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment